Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Pre-Game

Before I head to CTI, I have things that need to get done.
One of these things is fundraising. Luckily, I did some of this at school by sending out letters.
Fundraising is an experience in itself, nothing I imagined it to be.
When I went to Honduras.... I needed to raise 4,000. My church paid for half of that. I didn't even raise 1,000 of that money. I'm not sure what that says about what I was doing, but that trip changed my life and set the rest of my journey as I know it, into motion. That trip is what inspired this blog. My life is not my own, it has been given to me by my Savior and on that trip is where I found His arms of grace opened up to me and to hold me.
This has been my funraising experience so far: Before I even officially accepted my position with CTI, I had a friend that told me she would be supporting me, which blew me away. I didn't expect my friends... who are just like me, broke college students to help me out.
How humbling this has been.
Giving money is not something I was taught. My dad is all about saving and making sure nobody is screwing him over... everyone is a theif in his eyes. My mom... she actually loves showering gifts on people. And, they always gave on Sunday. But, I was never instructed to give to the church and to tithe. But, this is changing. I'm prepared to use my savings for what I don't raise, will this make my life more difficult... yes, possibly, but I think it's worth it.
People have been so generous, and they don't think twice about it. One of my friends from my Honduras trip gave me just enough to make my goal for when I begin in August. CTI requires 20%. I never expected our phone call to go like that... in one moment. She told me that people aren't really giving to me, they're giving this money to God and honestly... this money is God's anyway. In my fundraising packet, CTI even says this too, the funds have already been raised (Joshua 1:1-9).

I have just raised 20% of my funds. This is a benchmark. Granted, I have 80% still to go. That's about 10,000, and let me tell you, this number scares me. But, God has used so many people through that 20% and I am learning to trust in Him. I am asking people to pray and these people are fervent prayers, and their faith in God and in me is so encouraging.
My next step(s) is to host a fundraiser, a tag sale, and a bake sale. I began asking businesses in town if they would support me, I received some quick "no's" but I also talked with a woman who was very enthusiastic and I was able to leave my support letters with several businesses. So, this is what I would ask you to be prayerful about, that these businesses would be open to what I'm about to do and would be willing to support me. I also could use prayers as I talk to them, I get nervous and talk too fast and babble like a brook.
Thank you and blessings to you,
cee.tea.



No comments:

Post a Comment